Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Blog Entry - Playtest feedback

Here we are, 5 weeks in to the class. Things are still coming together, but we were at least able to put together a small, short prototype in order to test out a few things. For me specifically, the playtest was vital for a few reasons. One reason being, it was important for me to see the scale of the map, in comparison to the player size. There are a few areas in the map where the player may have to fit in a small spot, and I needed to make sure they were the right size. It turns out, they were so that was very helpful to know. I also realized that the maps scale as a whole was good.
Moving forward, there are things that I will be able to take from this playtest. One of them is the pipeline. I now know that the textures in Maya will not carry over in to Unity. This is helpful because now I know to spend more time creating the level, and I can worry about textures later when I get in Unity itself. Also, I am learning a lot about Maya as I continue to work in it. I need to become more detail-oriented within Maya. I need to start naming all of my objects, to make things clearer for me to sort out.
As a group, I think it is vital that we remember this is a game MOD class. We can use whatever code and assests we find online. We should not take up a lot of time doing things from scratch if we want to get this done the way we want to. For the next deadline, we need to take a huge step up. We need to have the player in the game, not some figure acting like it. We need to have an attack system, and the AI to react to it. The level should be finalized, and we should be in the process of adding assets to give it the right "feel." We should be incorporating sounds. We should have more scripted events. We have a lot of work to do, I think that is the main thing that we took away from this date. This needs to be a team effort with ALL THREE of the team members contributing. I hope that point came across during the playtest.

No comments:

Post a Comment